Toni Shiloh: On Discovering Characters





Please tune in as my guest, Toni Shiloh, writes about how she discovers the characters for her fabulous works. Be sure to check out her new release below the post and get your copy!
  • Toni Shiloh

    “Who are You?”

     

    One of the first things I do when preparing to write a story is to discover who my characters are. I want to know everything about them! Of course, some are stubborn and refuse to share. Others are an open book and tell me all I need to know!

     

    When I wrote Finally A Sweetheart, the characters unveiled themselves pretty quickly. I knew that Felicity Edwards wanted a family, had a heartbreaking backstory, and loved God with all her heart. I picked her brain to find out what prevented her from her goal of having a family (you’ll have to read the story to find out what it is). I knew info about her parents, siblings, friends (my fellow authors shared that info). She told me her likes/dislikes, her strengths and weaknesses. All of this helped me know who she was so that when I told her story, I was merely the person transcribing.

     

    Knowing her personality also helped me find the right inspiration photo that went with the woman taking shape in my mind. Enter: Gugu Mbatha-Raw. She played Belle in the movie of the same title. She seemed to embody everything about my character. I could see the grace that I imagined Felicity had. Could see a little heartache in the eyes. When I saw her photo, it was a simple knowledge that she was Felicity.

    Then I moved on to the next character, my hero, Will Davenport. He also told me everything about himself. You don’t know how happy I was that the hero and heroine didn’t make it difficult for me.

     

    Will was an older brother and an owner of his own barbershop. But he’d been burned by love and that made him a little wary. Still, he willingly told me how much of his goals matched Felicity. He just didn’t know if that woman existed. (Cue happy writer) I immediately thought of an actor that also played a barber in the movie Barbershop. I searched for the perfect picture of Michael Ealy. Knowing I cast these two correctly allowed me to jump into writing my novella.

     



     Toni Shiloh
    is a wife, mom, and Christian fiction writer. Once she understood the powerful saving grace thanks to the love of Christ, she was moved to honor her Savior. She writes to bring Him glory and to learn more about His goodness.

    Facebook: www.facebook.com/authortonishiloh
    Twitter:
    www.twitter.com/tonishilohwrite
    Pinterest:
    www.pinterest.com/tonishiloh
    Instagram:
    www.instagram.com/tonishiloh
    Goodreads:
    www.goodreads.com/tonishiloh
    BookBub:
    www.bookbub.com/authors/toni-shiloh
    Newsletter:
    http://tonishiloh.com/subscribe 

     

    Love Is Only Business for 4 Wedding Planners

     


    Discover how keeping secrets from each other threatens four women’s friendships, wedding business, and own ability to find love in Loveland, Colorado.

     

    Business partners Felicity Anderson, the cake baker; Kiki Bell, the seamstress; Cassie Blackthorn, the coordinator; and Chef Saffron Fare are best of friends in a town that is a romantic wedding destination for many couples—who work together at Weddings by Design to make every bride’s special day perfect. Could each falling into their own romance be the key to working out their differences and learning to trust each other—and God—with their futures?

    Get your copy here! https://books2read.com/u/bxj7Zq

    Thanks for stopping by!

     

     





No comments:

Post a Comment